June 17, 2009

Ode to the Chick-a-dee Tree...

They cut the tree down! The one that I could see from my kitchen window. It was right there and full of chickadees. They would sit on the outside windowsill and peek in, sometimes pecking the window with their beaks to say hello to me in the morning. I had the blinds down because it was really hot today and I wanted to keep some of the heat outside. In the afternoon, when I had opened the blinds again, it was gone. I spotted the nasty thief down on the lawn, happily hacking away what was left of the tree with his axe and loading it on a truck. I did not even hear him using the motor saw as we have a huge construction zone not far down from where I live and I thought that noise came from there. But no, apparently one of the downstairs neighbors had complained about how the fir tree had been blocking their view or something. How sad :(. I will miss you, chickadee tree!

3 comments:

  1. I know the feeling. The girls when we first got here watched a cactus ren and her chicks in a group of cactus behind our house. Well one day we here a bulldozer so we look out the window and they completely flatened it. The kids were so upset. The mommy bird protected her babys to the end. WHY, WHY, WHY??????

    ReplyDelete