April 13, 2013

Saturday Toil... or Soil?

Do you remember this? This picture was taken last year, after pulling out all weeds, and digging and digging and levelling the ground, to stay put like this during winter, to be able to set itself and get ready for this year´s lawn planting.


Well, the last snow melted in our garden this week and the temperatures are supposed to stay above the frost mark, it didn´t rain today and so we got to work. First, I levelled the ground as good as possible with our new rake, chucking out weeds and rocks as I went along. Then Dani made an exact outline of the flowerbeds. He´s genius like that, I just showed him my sketch on a random piece of paper and he set to work. I love how he can translate my pictures into something real!




We had another little helper join us:

The neighbour´s cat (whose face is different but who reminds me of my sweet old friend that recently passed away...)

Cleaning time after rolling in the muddy soil
At the end of the day, this is what our (future) garden looks like:

I realized the layout looks a bit like an estate park garden in miniature, but I pointed out to Dani that we´re not having a little fountain and pond in the middle, so it´s ok. 
He suggested we put a little swimming pool in the middle instead, haha!


We sowed a lawn (which hopefully won´t be eaten by hungry birds) and added some fresh top soil. The rounded corners in the picture will eventually be flower / vegetable beds, framed by lavender. We also planted a lilac bush in the far right corner. What a workout for today, I´m exhausted! Time for some Pizza!
I´m crossing my fingers that things will grow and peek out of the soil, soon... 

No comments:

Post a Comment