July 7, 2014

The End...?

 An Era ended last week in my home ward. All the American members have transferred out to other posts or moved back to the states. The base in Schweinfurt is closing down within the next few months and there will be no more U.S. military presence there. While this is only logical (after all, the war has ended '45 and there was no reason for them to stay this long other than some strategic geographical points), I am not sure how I feel about this. I´ve never lived in a community without so many Americans around, and growing up with them and making many friends along the way was an enriching experience for me. Even my former job will be redundant, since there won´t be a U.S. Military Police in need of interpreters anymore.

 Growing up in a bilingual ward was especially amazing, and strangely normal for me. It was part of my church culture, part of my very being. And it´s so sad to see my dear friends go. Growin up, most of my friends and the families we grew to love only stayed for 3 years or a little longer, before getting another military assignment and relocating. It was tough to see friends go. Each time a little piece of your heart is ripped out and goes with them. I´ve got little pieces of my heart attached to some cherished friendships around the world. I dearly miss all of them and I treasure the wonderful, fun, intense, faith-building times we´ve had. I cannot imagine visiting my family back home, going to church with them and finding a German-only ward there.
 This is probably a normal thing in Germany, wouldn´t you agree? But not for me. I´m not used to it. I´m not coping well with it. It was the biggest change I´ve experienced, attending a German only branch when Dani and I moved to where we currently live. I can´t say I´ve warmed up to it yet. It is a culture shock, full of different problems and circumstances than the ones I´ve ever experienced. Here, the problems aren´t so much the language barrier or showing up a little too late for the meetings (you know, MST... Mormon Standard Time ;) ), or not having enough teachers, since so many members are busy with callings as translators or in the different language classes. Not everyone spoke the same language in my old ward, but somehow, we all understood each other and were able to strengthen each other through compassion and care. Here, everything starts on time, on the dot. That´s so great (and I had to get used to it at first, shame on me!). People speak the same language, but they don´t understand each other. There is a lot of contention and backbiting going on. I´m not used to having that in any ward I´ve lived or served in previously. Here, members are sustained in their callings but often not actively supported. Of course there are a few dear exceptions, who have made me feel welcome and helped us along the way (thank you, thank you!) when we moved in. But generally, that´s what´s going on. I´m saddened and sometimes discouraged by it. After all, in a community that tries to follow Christ, these things should not be happening. But I digress. There´s work to do and each ward has their own set of trials. "Bloom where you´re planted" is not always an easy feat. But I´m trying. I have faith in the gospel, no matter which language. It´s just the getting used to that´s hard for me.

 I want to thank all the wonderful friends I´ve made for life at church during those 20+ years in Schweinfurt. All those brothers and sisters who´ve guided and shaped me growing up, who have 'adopted' me into their families ;), taught me to play the piano, let me earn some $$ babysitting their kids, taking me to and from activities and camps, teaching YW classes and Sunday School, sharing their love and testimonies with me, making me laugh and helping me grow. Thank you for embracing my friends whom I´d brought along to church and activities at times. Thank you for all those fun activities, bowling, rafting, crafting, singing; for Halloween parties, trunk or treating, 4th of July parties, RS nights, Hawaiian Luaus and trips to the temple. Thank you for introducing me to heavenly treats, such as Rootbeer Floats and Oreo Cereal (R.I.P.), Taco Bell and Little Ceasar´s. Thanks for being my perfect V.T. companions and also visiting me. Thanks for helping me prepare for and help fund my mission. Thanks for helping me transition back into normal life after I returned with the post-mission-I-want-to-go-back-on-my-mission-blues. Thanks for showing me how awesome it will be to be married and have kids, by simply being yourself. Thank you for raising your kids in a manner that made me think I´d like to have kids of my own someday. Thank you for supporting me in my callings and for your great sense of humor. Thank you for inspiring me to become a better person. Thanks for caring! It´s been a privilege serving alongside and learning with you! We had taken the best of both cultures to create a unique and wonderful ward.

 So is this the end? Certainly the end of a (very good) era. But not of all things. It´s the beginning of a new thing, a new (old), very small ward now with new challenges. Does it still feel like coming home when I´ll visit next time? Kind of: there are still all those wonderful German brothers and sisters there. Most of whom have been there for a long time, while all the others kept coming and going. It´s a comfort to know they´re still here. However, half of them are missing. Half of the culture and life I´ve lived. Not only in church at home, but also in my hometown and area. All of that will be missed greatly.


~ "True friends are never apart. Maybe in distance, but not in heart."~

No comments:

Post a Comment