April 19, 2009

One Week Vacation






It´s 'back to blog world' for me, after spending a few days with my inlaws in Dani´s hometown. It was awesome. We´ve had the nicest summery-spring weather imaginable and we had so much fun there. Lot´s of things to do and to see (wedding invitation, Easter weekend, Dani´s birthday, meeting with old friends, ... ). Time seemed to go by much too fast.

Last Tuesday we met with my name´s sister, Chrie, and spent the day exploring Xanten, the cutest old town. There was a mill still in use, which housed a bakery in ground level and you could climb up to the top on ladders and ropes until you could walk around on the balcony outside and see the rotors from the outside (and inside). It was really neat to see. It felt like being transported into another time and place. I loved the windmill and historic part of the city. Right outside of Xanten, there is an archeological park, with ruins and things the Romans left there oh-so many years ago. It´s not as interesting as the Roman architecture in Trier (my most beloved "Roman" historic town) but still amazing. My favorite structure in that park was the remains of an old Roman temple. I felt like a Greek philosopher while inspecting it (and while I know that it was a Roman temple, I still felt Greek ;) ). Really neat. It made me miss the art history lessons back at school. All the pictures posted here were taken either at Xanten or in the Roman historical park.





















And the other big news (I am so stoked still!) is that my brother is engaged. He proposed to the girl of his dreams on Saturday (haha, and while I can´t believe it just yet, ...it´s my little brother after all, I am so excited because I love her to pieces!) and she accepted. No date yet but how fun!

Besides all these things, I´ve also been busy creative-wise. I finally started sewing my own quilt (!!!). I had cut the quilt squares ages ago, starting last year in October and November but I never finished the project. For one thing, I didn´t have enough fabric scraps (after shopping at IKEA last January, that problem was solved, ha ha!) and I lacked the main thing: a sewing machine. I got one for my birthday and I was so excited. While I still can´t believe I am suddenly turning into a home-maker by chance, I really enjoy toying around with the sewing machine. I´ve never had any lessons for sewing (except hand sewing in elementary school, and I sucked!!), I am guerilla crafting with it now ;). I made my own cool bag that I took to Duisburg with me and it is still in one piece (with lining, to be extra posh ;) ), and now I finally started sewing the quilt sraps into bigger quilt scraps and I intend to eventually sew them all together to each other to have one big sheet to turn into an actual quilt. On the way back home from that amazing weekend, we stopped at another great friend´s house, and she showed me the quilt her mom had made for her. It was really nice and gave me the inspiration to finally get on and get done with mine. Of course it´s not even close to fancy like her´s but it´s mine ;). I don´t think I could ever get one done that´s nice and even and 'symmetrical' (a word disliked since Math lessons at school). I used a cut-out cardboart piece (from a Wagner´s Pizza package) as template, and while that one had no real symmetry to begin with, you can imagine, how individual the quilt scraps are. Each is almost the same size and has differently long sides. They are unique, they are alive (and I hope the aliveness will apply to the end product too, ... it´s no good if the quilt dies in the process of being created... ). I will upload pictures of it as soon as possible. For now, the 'in process picture' will have to do ;).


Cheers to everyone. I miss you!

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited about Martin!!! Yeah that is excellent news!! Congrats!!! I have to say I am totally bummed about something. I was really excited about you guys coming to the states so I could come and see you all but... It so happens I am taking classes and saving for my family to go to Mikes graduation from OCS in June. Thwarted again.grrr Eventually we will meet again! We miss you all so much!!!

    ReplyDelete