December 15, 2008

Drei Haselnüsse für Aschenbrödel



It is that time of year again and I couldn´t help but watch the wonderful movie "Drei Haselnüsse für Aschenbrödel" (Three Wishes for Cinderella). I love that movie. This is the version of Cinderella that I knew even before I had watched the Disney version of it. It was filmed in 1973, a co-production of GDR and Czechoslovakia, and based on a script by Božena Němcová. It´s funny when you think of it: both countries don´t exist anymore in this form. GDR became reunited with Germany again when the wall came down and Czechoslovakia split into two countries, the Czech Republic and Slovakia. But they knew how to make the best fairy tale movies for children back then. This particular movie is well known and loved throughout Germany and Europe and it is usually broadcasted in the Christmas season. It has become a tradition for me to watch it over and over every year. I love this version of Cinderella because she gets to do all the fun things, like riding horses, running around in pants (haha, and odd looking they are ;) ), shooting with bow and arrow, climbing trees, having a pet owl, owning three magical hazelnuts, dolling up like a princess and finally finding her 70s looking prince.

I found a trailer for the movie here on Youtube, though not with the original soundtrack - enjoy! :)

1 comment: